Friday, January 31, 2014

January 31

I felt Logan's presence more keenly than usual today. During dinner, I looked over at the big photos that grace our dining room wall --including this one, which depicts him at about 21 months-- and suddenly realized why. Today is his half-birthday; he should be exactly 7 1/2 years old.

It all happened this morning after I pulled into the Starbucks parking lot to get my morning coffee fix. I was zoned out and not really listening to the radio, but shortly before I parked, I recognized Carrie Underwood's "See You Again". When I got back into the car to head home, I looked over and saw a Corvette waiting to turn into the parking lot. I smiled as it rolled by. Then, as I cranked the engine, Mark Wills' "Nineteen Something" began. And I smiled again, because "Nineteen Something" is one of my favorite feel-good songs. It was almost as if that five-minute segment in time gave me a cheat sheet for coping with my lot in this life... remember, smile, keep living.

It was just a small set of otherwise mostly unremarkable occurrences, but strung together, they meant a lot to me.

Happy half birthday, Logan.

No comments:

Post a Comment