Saturday, January 14, 2017

January 14

We drove up to Adam's parents' cabin in the Sierras last night, so today was all about fun in the snow. (For most of us. Those of us --me-- who shoveled solid ice off the driveway when we got here so we could inch the car off the road were sore a bit sore in the back and core regions, so we spent a little less time in the great outdoors and a little more time hanging out beside a nice, warm gas fireplace. But I digress.)

It doesn't snow where we live, so the kids are completely obsessed with the stuff. They had a great time digging and building snow people and bombing down the hill in big inner tubes. (I went once --with Brady-- and didn't hit a tree, so I considered it a success and promptly retired from the sport.) Me? I don't particularly like being cold, but I liked hearing them laugh, and I loved seeing the delight spread across their faces as they threw snowballs and raced down the hill along the tubing path. And later, after dinner, I enjoyed watching them make smores in the fireplace.

All good things. All blessings. And a good reminder for me that though an activity may not rank high on my personal list of favorites, the act of watching the people I love enjoy themselves ranks pretty darn high all by itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment