Saturday, September 2, 2017

September 2

It was ridiculously hot out today --and by ridiculous, I mean 114 degrees-- so after lunch, we hit Coldstone for some ice cream. Abby and Brady went with non-surprising picks: pink lemonade for Abby, cotton candy for Brady, and both with Gummi-Bears mixed in. Isaac, however, chose mint ice cream with peanut butter cups.

Truthfully, I had to stop myself from grimacing when he told me what was in his little paper cup because to me, the idea of mint and peanut butter together is gag-inducing. (Separately, sure, but together? Just no.) But that kid of mine ate the entire cup and seemed to think it was quite tasty, so I'm glad I didn't inadvertently extinguish his enthusiasm with my opinion.

I want my kids to be happy. Given what they've already had to endure, I wish I could insulate them from every bit of hurt that this world will throw at them. But I know I can't do that. What I can do, however, is remind them that it's wonderful to be precisely who God created them to be, idiosyncrasies and all. That doesn't mean that I'll stand back and be silent while they make terrible choices, but on days like today... I'll celebrate mint and peanut butter and Gummi Bears and whatever else it is that they want to throw in their cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment