Monday, September 25, 2017

September 25

I was going to write about something entirely different, but then Abby was just so full-on Abby that I had to change it up last-minute.

She was sitting next to me in a chair doing her Language Arts homework. When she finished, she popped open her laptop, looked up "The Raven," and began a dramatic reading. Each time she finished a stanza, she looked up at me, raised her eyebrows, grinned, and waved her hand in the air. (I asked about the waving and she said it was supposed to be a 'creepy flourish.')

I just watched her as she read, and realized that she was being so... Abby: the big bow, the sparkly shirt, the intense focus on what she was reading. And I felt a sense of thankfulness that she's comfortable being who she is, because that's a big deal for someone who's almost 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment