Friday, March 9, 2018

March 9

I spent so many years just putting my head down and surviving that I didn't pause to think much about the concept of resiliency. Now, when I do mull it, I think I don't give myself enough credit for getting up and going about life when I could've let the weight of my circumstances kill me. (And I kind of hate that I wrote that because I'm not really a pat-myself-on-the-back kind of person, but I'm going somewhere with this so hang tight.)

With that said, I probably also don't really realize how resilient my kids have been, but I got a glimpse of it today. After the disappointing end to Isaac's baseball game earlier this week, I wasn't exactly sure how he'd approach his practice this afternoon. I watched him as he put his gear bag in the dugout, got out his glove and cap, and sauntered out onto the infield to play catch with one of his teammates. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Then I watched him do infield practice, and then I watched him bat and run the bases. And that was that: All of the negative emotion that marred the end of that game didn't seem to affect him at all.

So yeah. Today I'm thankful for the blessing of resiliency, and for the truth that the past never has to define us or hold us back.

1 comment: