Saturday, April 21, 2018

April 21

These girls are cousins, and --at least for now-- bookends. Oldest and youngest.

When Melody was born about two months ago, Abby was, let's say, apprehensive about having a female cousin on Adam's side of the family. After all, she'd been the only granddaughter for more than 13 years and wasn't particularly eager to share the title with someone else. She shared that she felt like she'd become less-than with a cute new baby around, and though I insisted that wouldn't be the case at all, the thought persisted.

But today was different. Today, after Melody and her brothers and her mom came to watch Isaac's game and then joined us for lunch, Abby decided she wanted to hold her. So while others ate, she walked back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, cradling her little cousin. I watched with a mixture of nostalgia for when she was that little baby back in 2004 and sadness that she isn't that baby anymore and pride that she looked so amazingly confident holding such a tiny human in her arms.

Time really does pass ridiculously quickly and I wish sometimes that I could slow it down (or back it up). But as I've said probably a thousand times before, it's a tremendous blessing to be able to watch my kiddos grow and change and gain confidence and surprise me in the best ways possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment