Thursday, October 10, 2019

October 10

A week or so ago, Abby got in the car after school and announced, with a bemused expression on her face, that she was going to try to be nominated for sophomore Homecoming Princess. I was a bit surprised given that she'd already said she didn't want to go this year but figured "eh, why not?". So I reminded her that her value did not depend on whether or not she made the court and wished her luck.

Then this afternoon as she approached the car, I noticed she had a white carnation in hand. When she closed the door, she turned to me and announced that she had indeed been nominated to the court (along with nine other girls).

My first inclination was to laugh --since I could tell she was holding in an incredulous giggle of her own-- and I probably did snort, but I felt a surge of pride, too. And it wasn't because she was nominated for homecoming princess. That's nice and all, sure, but I'm proud that she decided she wanted something that's arguably way, way outside of her usual wheelhouse and went for it.

I didn't have the self-confidence to do that when I was her age and honestly, I still probably wouldn't be willing to put myself out there even now because I still struggle with fears of judgment and rejection. So today, I'm grateful for my girl's example of fearlessness because I can certainly learn from it moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment