Saturday, October 12, 2019

October 12

With the traffic-gnarling pumpkin festival looming next weekend, we decided that today would be the day for our annual trip down to Pastorino's in Half Moon Bay. Here is this year's version of the Annual Pic, which is #16 in the series:

So we headed out at 10'ish this morning and --after a quick, facepalm-inducing run back home for someone who realized he'd forgotten to put on his shoes-- the journey began.

It was a quiet ride, and at one point along the way, Adam remarked that it was strange that no one was crying or complaining or playing the "how much longer?" card. I replied that I was glad that they'd matured enough to make the ride a quiet one, but he said he kind of missed the cacophony. And that made me think a bit.

Life is so much about phases and changes and seasons. And this annual tradition of ours makes that truth obvious. When I look back at this series of photos, I see kids added and I see them growing and changing and getting taller than me. And I see fashion senses changing and attitudes appearing and disappearing. I see life. And though I wish this life was less painful at times, I see beauty, because at its core, this life --with all of its twists and turns and heartaches and triumphs-- is just that: beautiful. And I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment