Sunday, November 3, 2019

November 3

Abby turned 15 today. I can't really figure out how she went from newborn to toddler to kindergartner to middle schooler to 15-year old high school sophomore so quickly, but somehow she did just that. And here she is today at 15, enjoying her lunch at The Counter under the watchful eye of a truly enormous 'happy birthday' balloon:

Way back when I was a kid, I wanted a little girl. I dreamed of pink dresses and bows and dolls and dance class and make-up. I grew up surrounded by boys and courtesy of that plus several other factors, I never did a particularly good job of forming good, lasting relationships with my female peers. So there was something mysterious and alluring about the idea of sisterhood and the bonds that girls --and women-- can share with one another.

So when Abby was born 15 years ago, she was literally a dream come true. And although we're most definitely different people, I'm endlessly impressed with her wise-beyond-her-years maturity, her thoughtfulness, her sense of humor, her intelligence, and all of the other many bits and pieces that fit together to form her into the amazing young lady she is. It is truly an honor and a blessing to be her mom, and I am so very thankful that I was chosen for the job.

Happy birthday, Abby!

No comments:

Post a Comment