Saturday, April 18, 2020

April 18

I (jokingly) suggested to Abby that she see if she could fit inside the rather awkwardly shaped empty cabinet in the corner of our kitchen. After expressing a degree of doubt, she climbed inside and I closed the doors. When I opened them again, she was clearly amused to have found a new hiding place. And as truth has it, I found her there a few more times as the day wore on.

This may seem like a silly entry at first blush, but really, it's not. We all need those quiet places where we can go to be alone with God and our prayers and our innermost thoughts. A place where we can just be; where we know we won't be interrupted or distracted.

In our old house, it was the closet in our bedroom. When I was very young, it was the very warm spot in front of the running dishwasher. I'm not sure where my place will be in our new house, but I'll find one because though the precise place of solace changes over time, my need for it never has. And I'm guessing I'm not alone in feeling that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment