Thursday, December 24, 2020

December 24

It was a Christmas Eve that overflowed with Firsts.

The first of the Firsts was that Adam took Abby to the DMV this morning and she returned shortly thereafter with her learner's permit. (And quite a lovely photo, too. I generally look like I've slept in the back of my car and then walked through a windstorm in my license pics, so I was impressed.)

The second of the Firsts was when Adam's brother's family came over for a socially distanced visit that took place mostly in the yard. We hadn't seen them since February so we spent some time talking and exchanging gifts before they came inside (masked up), took a quick tour of the house, and posed for a version of our annual photo. We're almost always the ones who travel on Christmas Eve, so having people over was definitely new. (And it made me wish COVID would just go away so I could do it again. And again.)

But the biggest --and most overarching-- of the Firsts was that we had our first Christmas Eve in this house. We hung our stockings in new stocking holders by a new fireplace, put presents under a new tree in front of a new window in a new room, decorated Santa's cookies in a new kitchen. As a general rule I've never been a big fan of change, but tonight, I am grateful for what is. And I'm grateful that tomorrow I will be with my people to celebrate the best gift the world has ever received.

No comments:

Post a Comment