Friday, December 25, 2020

December 25

As is the case with California Christmases, today was a calm, kick-back kind of holiday.

Isaac and Brady (and Adam) came in to wake me up at 9 (which is a vast improvement over the 5 and 6 AM wake-up calls of the past), and we got started with stockings. We broke for a cinnamon roll (and coffee and mimosa for me) breakfast and then returned to the tree to open gifts.

There were lots of hits and lots of great laughs, including the mighty guffaws elicited by the sequined Rick Roll pillow (which features a giant Rick Astley face and the words "Never gonna make you cry") that Brady picked for Abby. 

From there the boys tested out one (or two) of their newly acquired video games while I prepped our customary pot roast dinner and then drifted off to sleep. (Somehow I'd forgotten that champagne knocks me out.) Post nap, there was a FaceTime call with my brothers and a quick trip to Logan's grave followed by the evening meal, a round of Adam's new board game, Hues and Clues, and a chat with my mom. And now it's 9:36PM, the boys are in bed, Adam is nodding off, and Abby and I are parallel playing on our respective devices in the glow of the family room Christmas tree.

It was a pleasant, calm day. And for that, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment