Saturday, December 25, 2021

December 25

On uncommon occasion a day is so wonderful that I long to sit alone in the stillness of the after-bedtime hours just savoring its residual nectar. As I write from the midst of those quiet moments, I think I'd consider today one of those unusual days.

We began our Christmas at grandma's house decked out in our matching penguin pajamas. We opened presents and dined on cinnamon rolls before dressing for stop number two: my dad's extended family gathering at what was once my other grandparents' farm (and my Aunt Linda and Uncle Bill's current home). It was there that we reconnected with my brother Bobby and my sister-in-law Reaya for the first time this trip, and it was there that the kids reconnected with their cousins. There was a small degree of DeLauder-Wight shyness at first, but some laughing over cookies and potato chips and ham sandwiches (and a lot of other goodies... there is never, ever a shortage of food at a DeLauder family gathering) combined with a spirited game of Chase the Chickens out in the yard broke the ice in a flash. In addition to the chickens, we saw aunts, uncles, a few cousins, and my dad and Lisa and enjoyed the opportunity to say hello to folks we don't usually see.

From there, we drove to Bobby's house, where we met up with my mom. We all had dinner together and then opened presents and oohed and aahed and laughed. And, naturally, we did as we've done during recent visits and took some progressive photos, where a picture begins with two people and then expands until everyone is awkwardly crammed into the frame in selfie mode. And then after the last drop of my champagne was gone and the presents were all freed from their packaging, we returned to grandma's house for bedtime. 

So yes, it was a busy day. Maryland Christmases always are. But it was also a blessed day filled to the brim with family. Given how infrequently I'm here, I'm thankful to have had those hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment