Wednesday, November 2, 2022

November 2

Twenty-four hours from now, my girl will be an official adult. It's crazy. It's insane. I mean, where did the last 18 years go? But I'm getting ahead of myself; I can have my panic attack later.

Today was much like yesterday and the one before, although I stopped procrastinating on the present-wrapping and took care of the task before I headed out for coffee. 

Abby texted me mid-afternoon to say that she was done with class but needed to do some homework, so I watched old episodes of "Too Close for Comfort" and crocheted while I waited.

When she did text, we headed off to Bath and Body Works to do our requisite sniff-testing yet again, and this time as we dabbed sanitizer on our wrists she shared a memory from her childhood that I'd totally forgotten: back when she and Logan and Isaac were very young, they'd whine about going to the mall, so I'd take them into Bath and Body Works and let them smell all the different scents in an attempt to maintain a semblance of order. Just a simple snippet in time, but she remembered it and I'm glad she chose to share the memory.

From there she suggested Olive Garden for dinner, so since we were literally right next to one, that's what we did. And then in order to walk off some of the delicious breadsticks and salad and soup and chicken parm (for Abby), we sauntered around Target before returning to her dorm. I stuck around for a few minutes and then headed out so she could get some reading done. On the way out of the dorm, I ran into Ashley, who was the only member of Abby's circle I hadn't yet met. So naturally we took a silly pic and I sent it on to my girl, who basically facepalmed over how I'd managed to yet again meet one of her friends in her absence.

And now I'm back in my room feeling a little reflective, a little melancholic, and mostly proud of my daughter, who she's been, who she is, and who she's becoming. She's a big blessing to so many, and I hope she knows it.

No comments:

Post a Comment