Saturday, December 24, 2022

December 24

It was a mostly quiet Christmas Eve at the Wight house, with a few last-minute shopping trips, gingerbread cookie baking, football game-watching (which spurred a sequence of feisty texts between my Commanders-fan brother and Niner die-hard Adam), tree-decorating, church, dinner in the dining room, and an evening screening of "Elf." (Actually, I guess it was pretty busy after all, though I wasn't conscious of the busy-ness at the time.)

Although there were sweet moments sprinkled throughout the day, this was probably my favorite. It came at the end of the Christmas Eve service, when we all lit candles, the lights dimmed, and we sang "Silent Night" together. 

There's something about the quiet stillness of a candlelit room that fosters an unparalleled sense of peace. So for that peace and for the hope that the birth of Jesus brought to the world all those years ago, I am grateful.

Merry Christmas Eve, my friends. May the joy of the season fill your hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment