Sunday, April 13, 2014

April 13

I ran my "first" 5K this morning. (First is in quotes because although Abby and I took part in the same race last year, the course was too short so it wasn't truly a real 5K.) Although I started off with Abby and her friend Bridget, they quickly ran ahead of me. So I was left all by myself. Sort of.

We had the option to have our race bibs personalized, so I did, with a very simple little message: 'LoveLogan.' (It was what came to mind when I was hurrying to complete early bird registration exactly one minute before the window was set to expire.) So though I jogged alone physically, he was with me. And my thoughts of him and his fight coupled with the grace of God carried me through to the finish line with a --for me-- very respectable time of 36:06.

The fact that I managed to keep chugging without stopping is remarkable to me, especially since I can count on ONE hand the number of days I've jogged since last April. Anyone who knows me in real life knows that I'm not a runner. I have lots of great friends and family members who are bona fide marathoners, but I am not one of them. My knees creak, my hips ache, and it's simply not something that I enjoy very much. But somehow, I finished. I jogged 3.1 miles straight. More than once along the way I addressed both God and Logan, and told them both that I needed a lot of help if I was going to make it... not on my own strength... please, help me...... and He --and in whatever way it's possible, they-- didn't let me down. I made it. And in light of feelings I've had many times over the past two years, it's amazing to not feel the sting of yet another letdown.

1 comment:

  1. :)

    Thanks for sharing Sherry.

    Running can be akin to fasting in that we can't do it on our own accord and we need God's strength and help to keep us going both physically and mentally. What a wonderful experience you had.

    ReplyDelete