Thursday, July 16, 2015

July 16

It feels good to know when I'm given an opportunity to make someone feel welcome and actually succeed at making it happen. It began this morning when I was sitting inside Starbucks drinking an iced coffee while I checked my email. An older woman sat down in the chair across from me, and for some reason, I smiled and told her that her dress was pretty. (It was; I just don't always go out of my way to say nice things to complete strangers.) She thanked me and then asked if I knew how to connect to the internet. I looked at her phone (which wasn't easy since the display was entirely in Mandarin!) and finally told her that sometimes, it just takes a few minutes to connect. She smiled and sat back down.

A few minutes later, I noticed she'd gotten out a notebook and pen and was busily consulting her phone as she scribbled words I couldn't read (in addition to what looked like a cross). As I got up to leave, I asked if the internet was working yet, and she said it was. Then she thanked me for being "so kind" and added that she was visiting from Beijing. I asked how she'd enjoyed her trip, and she said kind people like me make her enjoy it very much. I thanked her and said I hoped she'd enjoy the rest of her time here, and then I left.

I know that the international community often views Americans as rude and selfish. I don't think that's necessarily a fair appraisal of all of us, so today, it was an honor --and a blessing-- to be able to represent the US in a positive way. And beyond that, it was a blessing to be able to express the love of Jesus to someone else in such a simple --but still powerful and profound-- way.

No comments:

Post a Comment