Friday, June 19, 2020

June 19

I was sitting in my car yesterday at our old house killing some time between a trip to Walmart and VBS worship team practice pick-up. A song with a familiar melody came on the radio and for some reason, I listened to and actually heard the words for the first time. And it blew me out of the water.

I texted the song name to a friend who recently shared that she needs more Jesus, and then came home and downloaded it. And then I listened to it over and over again until I'd committed the words to my heart. (And that's a hard thing to do because though I handily remember dates, I am not a champion song lyric remember'er.)

Here's the thing about this beautiful song by Jason Gray: I could've written it 10 years ago when Logan was diagnosed with cancer. Those feelings of anger and frustration mixed with a sense of needing Jesus to take another step... it's how I felt --and still feel at times-- to a T. And I've never seen it explained any better.

I know I don't do "overtly Christian-y" very often, but this song... this is it. Google it. Listen to it. Digest the words. If you're new to the idea of faith, let the words wash over you and confirm to you that no, not even self-professed Christians have it all figured out. We know that we don't and we definitely feel anger and hurt and frustration and doubt. It's not always sunshine, and those platitudes designed to put an "it's okay and everything will work out" stamp on very real human problems? Those piss us off sometimes, too. And that's all okay. But you can find comfort in Jesus. Just ask for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment