Tuesday, June 30, 2020

June 30

This is probably the saddest-looking bean plant in my current bean plant arsenal. (And I have about 50 of them.)

It sat in my kitchen window --day after day-- while most of its buddies were transplanted, one by one by one, into the ground outside. I had a plethora of reasons to believe that it would never produce any beans: it was slow to sprout, it grew at an awkward angle in its peat pod, and it just looked sickly. But I noticed about a week ago that it had produced a little white flower, so I decided to put it outside. Not in the ground; just outside. And then a few days later it had sprouted another little white flower. And then the first flower fell off to reveal a tiny green bean. And then the second bloom followed the same course. The irony? Only a small handful of my 50-plant crew is currently producing beans. This little one --this little, weak, sickly-looking one-- is ahead of the curve.

The lesson here may be an obvious one, but it's also vital: never discount what the so-called "weakest link" can do. Because God can and will use anyone and everyone to spread goodness. Even --and especially-- the most unlikely among us.

No comments:

Post a Comment