Monday, October 31, 2022

October 31

Not too long ago, Halloweens were stuffed to the gills with activity, from elementary school costume parades and classroom parties to carving pumpkins and trick-or-treating. So this year's version of the day felt very quiet by comparison, but also productive enough.

I did plenty of shopping at a wide array of stores for the upcoming 18th birthday celebration. (But I won't say where since I know Abby reads this blog.) And of course I visited a local Mother Ship because duh.

And then after her classes were over, I picked up Abby from her dorm and we went to lunch and then to Claire's (so she could look for a gift for a friend) and Bath and Body Works (so we could sniff). 

She was a little glum when she first got into the car, but the shopping trip injected new energy into that girl of mine. She literally danced her way through Bath and Body Works to the sounds of the Christmas music that filled the air. She fawned over the tunes and the return of Winter Candy Apple (her all-time favorite scent) to the shelves and proclaimed herself ready for Christmas. Seeing her spirits lift so suddenly lifted mine and filled me with gratitude.

Then I drove her back to campus, where we paused in front of an especially orange tree to take some fall pics. It was overcast all day long, and although I'm not a big fan extended hours of clouds and gloom, I have to admit that the yellows and oranges and remaining reds of the leaves looked more vibrant and beautiful today than they have on any previous day. So I am grateful for the reminder that beauty is often magnified by less-than-sunny skies.

We then walked back to her dorm, where we spent some time in her room before I departed to return to the hotel for the night while she did homework (hopefully). She met friends to trick-or-treat somewhere on campus and messaged a few photos of the group. Adam sent a pic of Brady as Dr. Doofenshmirz and Isaac as Perry the Platypus (from "Phineas and Ferb", for the non-initiated) so I did get to see them all dressed up despite my absence. So I'm grateful for that.

Yes, it was a quiet day as far as Halloweens go, but I feel content for a comparatively restful day. And for that sweet restfulness, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment