Sunday, August 13, 2023

August 12

And just like that I'm back at home, sitting in my usual perch, typing on my laptop and not my phone, reflecting on how impossibly quickly the past 19 years have gone by.

I had a late flight out of Midway, so Abby and I were able to spend a chunk of the day together before I had to leave. We visited another Mother Ship and bought toothpaste and tissues at Dollar General and had Culver's for lunch (again; oh, those delicious pretzel bites and frozen custard do so love my thighs) and took a walk around her decidedly beautiful campus. And then I sat in her desk chair and silently watched as she meticulously organized her dorm room and then laid across her bed, surrounded by a menagerie of comforting pillows and friendly stuffed animals. And we talked.

When the hour arrived she walked me down to the rental car and I gave her a big hug and when I stepped back she was crying. I was too; in fact, I sobbed as I drove away. She stood on the sidewalk and I watched her get smaller and smaller in the rearview mirror until I turned the corner and she completely disappeared from sight.

Separation is hard. But I am so grateful to know that she has a terrific group of friends who love and care for her and who can be physically present for her when I cannot. That girl of mine is growing into an amazing adult human, and I am so proud and thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment