Sunday, August 13, 2023

August 13

Last year my mom entered a blanket and a doll hat that I made for her in the local county fair without telling me. My pieces fared well, so this year I decided I'd just give her a small collection of six items to enter on my behalf. And this morning she texted me the results: six blue ribbons and a champion.

I don't want this post to come across as bragging because that's not what I'm doing. The placements are wonderful and I love knowing that the attention to detail and time and care that I poured into each piece was recognized, but it goes deeper than that for me. See, I grew up volunteering at the fair --in fact, some of my earliest memories are rooted in those humid August days-- just like my parents and my grandparents before them. I can remember the feeling of seeing those special people I saw just once a year. I can remember helping the judges in the clothing section --which my mom and grandma chaired-- and I can remember trotting out from my perch behind the table to retrieve lost balloons from the high ceiling above. The fair meant a lot to me then and it still does now, even though I haven't actually attended one since Abby was a baby.

So to see my name (albeit spelled incorrectly, but that's not a big thing to me) up there... it's like I'm there and connected to those people and my family and those memories all over again. And that makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment