Sunday, August 13, 2023

August 7

Adam and the brositos ferried Abby and I to the airport this morning. We cleared security in record time and Abby only made fun of me for wearing flip flops (my “naked dogs” was a term liberally thrown about as we sat at the gate) a few times. 

Our flight to Chicago left on time (gasp) and landed 20-plus minutes early (double gasp) and was entirely uneventful. Baggage claim was a bit slow, but even then our bags were among the first to emerge from the great luggage cavern below. The shuttle bus driver to the rental car facility was fantastic (he sang for us) and the wait time at the counter minimal, and I remarked to Abby that I felt like a giant hamster as we drove away in our Kia Soul. (I chortled over how clever I was. She didn’t get the reference, but I did later show her the old TV commercials. She was fully bewildered and mildly traumatized.) 

Following an easy and entirely uneventful drive through the Chicago ‘burbs, we arrived at our hotel in Glen Ellyn, checked in, and then hightailed it to Culver’s for some burgers and pretzel bites (which I think we’d both been dreaming about aaaaall summer) and frozen custard. They got my custard wrong both times I ordered it, but eh, I’m not going to complain about my chocolate ice cream being imperfect, especially on such a quiet travel day, because that would be akin to complaining that my diamond shoes are too tight. 

So yes: we’re here. It was a terrific day, as far as travel days go. And I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment