Friday, January 19, 2024

January 19

Back in the early '80s when I was still quite small, I remember poring over the Sears toy catalog while perched in a barstool at the kitchen counter. I gazed at Strawberry Shortcake and GI-Joe and Matchbox Cars and the Transformers. And I remember staring extra-fixedly at the page that featured the Care Bears; Cheer Bear in particular, with her pink fur and bright rainbow tummy symbol, caught my eye.

Fortunately for wee me my mom got the hint and a Cheer Bear (and eventually, several others) came to live at our house. 

I hadn't really thought about the Care Bears for years until I saw new ones during a trip to the Miniso store at the mall a few months ago. I've picked up a few of them since that day (including a fresh pink Cheer Bear, of course), but this guy --Grumpy Bear-- is my newest acquisition. I can totally relate to him and to the notion that not every day is a sunny one. And that it's okay to have non-sunny days because they're part of this life.

Nostalgic feelings are a blessing, so I'm grateful for the happy memories this guy and his stuffie pals provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment