Sunday, January 28, 2024

January 28

As 49ers Quarterback Brock Purdy appeared on the TV screen to deliver his post-game remarks after winning the NFC Championship this evening, I turned to Isaac and, said --in my most pointed mom-voice-- "that is why you don't let yourself get discouraged and never give up."

This very dear son of mine has felt a great deal of discouragement of late over the upcoming spring baseball season. He's worried he won't make the team and has lamented that he doesn't "have a personality" when compared to the other guys. (That last bit left me completely dumbfounded because is truly one of the nicest people I know. I don't know why he thinks he doesn't have a personality.) I don't know how to help him. 

But I figured maybe Brock Purdy could.

If you don't follow football, I'll give you some background 4-1-1. Purdy earned the unenviable title of Mr. Irrelevant when he was the last man taken during his draft year. (The literal last draft pick.) He wound up being thrust into the spotlight rather abruptly when the Niners' starter and second stringer both went down with injuries. This year, he was named the official starter. And he played extremely well, but his efforts were never good enough for many members of the media, who seemed unable or maybe just unwilling to admit that maybe --just maybe-- he was a better player than they'd guessed. 

But he persevered. He gave the glory to God and pressed onward. And now this guy who was once tagged as being irrelevant --unimportant, not a factor, disposable-- is going to the Superbowl at just 23 years of age. At quarterback!

He could've succumbed to discouragement at any time --because many of us certainly would-- but he didn't. He could've stopped praising God at any time, but he didn't. He just kept persevering. 

And my prayer is that my boys will see that example and that it will inspire them to just keep going, because with God, anything at all is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment