Friday, January 5, 2024

January 5

Abby heads back to school on Sunday. So today, we took our last shopping trip of the season, which featured stops at the usual haunts plus lunch from In-N-Out since she wasn't feeling well enough to eat hers when Adam brought it home for dinner a few days ago.

It was a really fun trip until it wasn't. I won't rehash anything because it won't help, but here's where I wax (yep, just "wax" and not "wax poetic") a bit. Sometimes, I feel like I'm a less than awesome parent. A lot of times, actually. I get frustrated and don't control my emotions as well as I probably could at times. I'm better at that than I used to be --I think Adam would attest to that-- but I'm still not great. I'm not as patient as I should be. And I worry that in some ways, I'm just a bad example. I mean, I yell (and sometimes use creative language) in traffic and don't immediately (or in some cases ever) put my phone down when one of the kids shows up and starts talking to me. My mouth is often ahead of my brain. I get distracted by squirrels running by the window. I wish I were... better. More put together. More... healed, I guess.

But in spite of me, our children are still shaping into really, really good people, and I know that's entirely because of God's intervention in their lives. So today, I'm grateful that God is infinitely better than I am and that He's always working to transform me into who I should be. And I'm grateful to have had Abby here for the past several weeks, because she is one of the greatest blessings I've ever received.

No comments:

Post a Comment