Thursday, October 31, 2013

October 31

One of the sad truths of being us is that holidays are always bittersweet. It's fun to celebrate, but sad --and at times, if I'm being truthful, overwhelmingly so-- that we can't all be together. But despite that overarching sense of melancholy, we still got dressed up this evening and went out trick or treating with some friends. And before we left, Adam took what might be one of my favorite pictures of me and the kids. Ever.

It's true that Logan doesn't physically appear in the image. But he's there in so many other ways that it almost takes my breath away. He's there in Lambie. He's there in the way Abby and Brady both instinctively touched Lambie as he sat in my lap. He's there in his siblings' huge, genuine smiles. Capturing a photo of them all smiling genuinely is akin to spotting a yeti, yet it happened. And Logan was always so good at turning on the charm and grinning for the camera that I can't help but see him in all three of them.

So a bittersweet kind of day, yes. But not one without unexpected blessings. And for that, I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment