Saturday, August 23, 2014

August 23

I'm sure I've said this before, but it came to mind this evening so I thought I'd share it again. It's a sad reality that all of my happy experiences aren't purely happy. They're all bittersweet. Like the first day of school and Christmas and birthdays. And like this mad-cap game of tag that Adam, Abby, Isaac, and Brady played during our walk. Purely bittersweet.

It was a blessing to see the four of them running together, laughing as they bobbed and weaved their way along the path. That's the sweet.

But at the same time, Logan's absence made the scene decidedly less rosy. I tried to imagine him as part of the group, giggling and dodging and tagging with his little brothers, dad, and best bud. I stared for a long while, trying to see it, but I didn't until Abby's pace slowed and she fell behind the pack. Then I saw him beside her. I squinted until my mind saw him grow taller than he was when his spirit flew away Home; tall enough to comfortably fall into rhythm with his big sister's pace. And I closed my eyes and watched them walk together for a few stolen seconds.

It was a nice sight, but I know it wasn't real. But I'm thankful that one day, because of Christ's sacrifice, it will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment