Friday, May 6, 2016

May 6

Today was the Mommy and Me Tea at preschool. It was my last one, and of course Brady's last one, given that he's off to kindergarten this fall.

But the tea isn't just a tea; they also present a slideshow featuring photos from throughout the year. In years' past, my kiddos have always giggled at the images of themselves and their friends while I tried to hold back the "Oh my gosh, how did my baby get so old?" tears. It's been so predictable that I could reliably count on the experience playing out in just that precise way.

But this time, it was different. Brady sat quietly with the side of his head pressed against my chest. After it ended and the moms and kids filed out, he remained fixed in place, unwilling to move at all. I looked down at him, and that's when I saw the tears. I asked why he was crying, and he seemed embarrassed. I told him that it was okay to be sad when things change, and he nodded.

I was genuinely surprised by this show of emotional maturity. Maybe I shouldn't have been, given that he's the oldest kid in his class and given that he's spent three happy years within the safe confines of Shining Light. But it was a blessing to me to have the experience of comforting him in his moment of sorrow; and in fact, in what was likely his first moment of mature, thoughtful sorrow -- a sorrow with legitimate complexity that went beyond "he stole my truck" or "he called me a name and hurt my feelings". It's a gift to be a comforter, and I was honored to be able to remind him that even though he's sad right now, new and wonderful experiences will be waiting for him just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment