Saturday, March 25, 2017

March 25

Something unexpected happened this morning: Isaac pitched the last two innings of his team's baseball game.

It was a notable event because he had --literally-- never pitched from the mound before. Not during practice and definitely not during a game. Just never.

I freaked out a little bit when I saw that 1 next to his name on the lineup card pre-game; after all, pitching can be hard when you've had a lot of practice, so I held my breath when his toe touched the rubber for the first time. But you know something? He did fine! He struck out a few batters and seemed to keep his cool the entire time. They wound up finishing in a 9-9 tie, but they should be super proud of themselves because they were playing a team that has, so far, fared much better than they have during games.

And a bonus: he also, at long last, collected his first hit and an RBI. I was glad to be wearing my sunglasses despite the clouds because I almost cried. He hasn't historically been particularly comfortable at the plate, but he took the coach's comments to heart and it worked.

So yeah. After several tough games, a good hit, a successful pair of innings on the mound, and a high-scoring tie all taste pretty sweet --and definitively blessing-like-- tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment