Saturday, March 4, 2017

March 4

And just like that, the baseball season is open.

Both Isaac and Brady were chomping at the bit to head to the ballpark when they got up this morning; Adam said he had to tell them --at 7 AM-- that it was too early to suit up.

But of course, the time to get dressed eventually arrived and they gleefully slipped into their brand new attire and we all piled into the car for the big day.

Brady was up first with his first-ever tball game. It was your usual tball affair, with kids hitting the tee and running the wrong way and dogpiling for a shot at coming away with the elusive ball. But Brady's team actually did something I'm not sure I've seen a tball team do before: they actually got a few outs (which didn't matter since outs aren't recorded in tball anyway, but it was amusing). In the end, Brady gave the ball a good enough whack at one point that he was awarded the Game Ball.

Isaac's game followed a little while later. His season started on an auspicious note as he was hit in the neck by a pitch during his first at-bat, but there wasn't any damage done and it improved from there: I don't think he recorded a hit, but he did walk once, and did a really nice job catching the last inning. I was on the bleachers but Adam was behind the plate and said he could hear him encouraging the pitcher, and at one point, when the batter from the other team was hit by a pitch, he asked if he was okay. He even tried to clean off home plate when it got a bit too dusty to be easily visible. And his face when he caught the last pitch and the game was over and they'd won... priceless. Such glee. Such heart.

I've always loved baseball. I can remember watching my older brother play when I was quite young, and seeing my Little Boys play is like a much-needed shot of nostalgia in the arm. It's like a bit of home when I'm far away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment