Friday, May 11, 2018

May 11

Two years ago, Abby came home from school one day in May and told me that the eighth graders had taken part in a Swing Dance competition. She seemed intrigued, but insisted taking part wasn't in her future. Then last year, she again came home from school and shared about that same contest with that same glint of interest in her eyes, but reiterated that no way would she ever don saddle shoes and do it. Nope. Not happening.

Of course, we change our minds over time. And today, she and her partner joined 20 other pairs in the school gym to Swing Dance the hours away.

Maybe it's because she's starting high school soon or maybe it's because I'm paying more attention to what's going on, but I've been extra proud of her lately. I absolutely love that despite her insecurities, she found herself a partner --which was no small task since she's fairly tall and wanted her match to be at least her height-- she could work with, put together some basic choreography, and danced her little heart out. I could feel her enthusiasm from the bleachers and am so thankful that she didn't let fear stop her from doing something fun.

She's growing up, this girl of mine, and I don't think I could be prouder of who God made her to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment