Friday, May 18, 2018

May 18

I love being right. And I'm happily basking in my right-ness right now.

As I've mentioned before, Abby isn't particularly big on social activities, so early on in the school year she insisted that she most definitely did not want to go to the much-hyped 8th grade promotion dance. I'd always heard that it's awesome, so I --being the mom who wishes she'd enjoyed teenagerhood a bit more and worried a bit less-- insisted that she absolutely would go. And, in the end, I won that battle.

As I helped her fix her hair and put on a wee bit of make-up this evening before said social event, she said --for the 20th time-- that she didn't really want to go. When I dropped her off in front of the school, she was uncertain and looked back at me like I was sending her off to suffer some sort of unusual punishment.

But when I picked her up at 9, she clutched a tiny pink teddy bear and had strings of beads around her neck and her face was literally aglow with excitement. My heart grew a few sizes and I grinned and said 'it was fun, wasn't it?' and she had to admit that she'd had a great time. And then she spent the next hour telling me --in her usual 'I'm really excited so my voice is an octave and a few volume knob notches higher' tone-- all about her friends' dance battle and showing me a handful of pics she'd snapped while it all went down.

So yeah, I love being right. But more than that, I love that my girl had so much fun with her friends. She only has two weeks of middle school left, so I'm beyond happy that she took the time to savor these moments while she still can. That is a huge blessing to this mama's heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment