Monday, May 7, 2018

May 7

I'm basically drowning in PTA stuff lately, so baseball is a welcome relief. (Really. It's why I talk about it so darn much.) With that said, tonight's game was one heck of a roller coaster. Isaac's team jumped out early to take a big lead, then lost the lead, then staged a comeback and entered the sixth and final inning tied with the other team. After holding their opponent scoreless in the top of the inning, they headed into the bottom knowing that the worst result would be a tie. And that, as it turns out, wasn't enough for our little scrappers.

They loaded the bases with no one out. Isaac wound up taking a hard tumble as he was thrown out at the plate (though some --including Isaac-- thought he'd beaten the tag), but the next batter --who'd had a rather tough day personally-- singled and drove in that winning run. And we all celebrated.

As I awaited the end of the post-game huddle, I felt a sense of pride. I may only be mom to one of them, but I was deeply proud of all of them for not giving up when that initial lead slipped away. It takes a great deal of character and tenacity to continue forging forward when life takes daunting turns. So for that display of fortitude this evening --and that not-so-subtle reminder that perseverance eventually pays off-- I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment