Monday, August 13, 2018

August 13

There are many things about my life that on a very base level, I wish I could change. I wish I'd experienced a bit less upheaval during my childhood. I wish I'd not allowed the fear that resulted from the upheaval turn me into someone who wasn't particularly approachable in high school. And of course, I wish I could undo whatever it was that made Logan get sick. But then I realize that if I were to undo all those things --at least the first two things-- I probably wouldn't get to have first days of schools with these amazing people because they probably wouldn't exist. And that's a sobering thought.

So yeah, another first day is in the books: ninth grade for Abby, fifth for Isaac, and second for Brady. This year I got to take them all to school; I took Abby extra-extra-early to avoid the rush of freshman parents intent on making sure their kids were safely where they needed to be in merely extra-early fashion. From there, I headed to the elementary school, where Isaac and Brady helped me distribute first day of school gifts for the teachers and staff. And then a lot of busy-ness followed for me. It's possible that I had no idea what I was getting myself into by agreeing to be the PTA President this year, but I'm (mostly, cautiously) excited.

On days like today, I'm conscious that every moment of disappointment and hurt and frustration was worthwhile because they led me to where I am right now. It's weird to be thankful for bad things, but I am, because God built some pretty incredible masterpieces from my mess. And for that, yep, I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment