Wednesday, August 29, 2018

August 29

My day began inauspiciously, as Abby woke me up overnight to tell me --in a panic-- that she'd slammed her face into her headboard. After the haze and confusion lifted, I jumped up and followed her into the bathroom to take a look. There was blood, and what looked like a missing bracket (though it wasn't -- it had merely moved down the wire), more blood, and a gash in her gums just above her right front tooth. (And also blood.) I gently touched each tooth and none seemed loose, so I told her to get the bleeding stopped and then just go to bed since, as providence had it, she had a regular orthodontic check-up scheduled this afternoon anyway. (So that's God-thing number one. As I told her, if she was going to smack her teeth on something hard, she picked a great time to do it.)

Fast forward to this afternoon. The popped brackets were reapplied, and an x-ray was taken, and we learned that she had not --despite her (and admittedly, my) fears-- cracked her tooth or the unexposed roots.

More than anything, I think it was a 'phew' moment for her, and for me. We all do stupid things sometimes; either out of igorance or laziness or just because we're being dense. Sometimes, we pay for those errors. But sometimes, we're showered with grace and those experiences leave little more than mental marks that remind us to be more careful in the future. I'm thankful that this one wound up being the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment