Monday, January 21, 2019

January 21

Adam made dinner tonight. As he plated the food, he apologized for "messing up" the mashed potatoes. I looked at my portion and thought they looked perfect. I took a bite. Still perfect. Quite like my mom used to make, in fact. So I ate it up and then had seconds.

Abby looked at me like I was crazy as I gobbled up serving number two. She followed The Look with a full dose of teenager sass as she said Gross, mom. Why would you eat more of that? I shrugged and told her I thought they were good. Perfect, really. And she shook her head and the interaction ended.

But those potatoes reminded me of something important: we're not all going to like the same potatoes in this lifetime. We all have different preferences and something that's delicious to some people is completely unpalatable to others. And that's okay, because just imagine how boring life would be if we all ate ONLY mashed potatoes -- no baked, boiled, french fried, or au gratin.

Every single one of us is one of God's unique creations. We'd all get along much better in this world if we could just embrace --and celebrate-- those differences, don't you think? I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment