Sunday, October 18, 2020

October 18

Today was Pumpkin Day. 

We've driven down to Pastorinos Pumpkin Farm in Half Moon Bay every year since the year before I was super-duper pregnant with Abby, so it's a family tradition that I really value. Today's trip was a pleasant one; the boys played a video game in the back seat, Abby alternately listened to her own music and the Pandora 90's mix that Adam and I enjoyed, and I crocheted. (We won't talk about how many rows I had to rip out because of pattern goofs. Ugh!) It was a predictably slow but pleasant trip, and in my head --and sometimes aloud-- I remembered journeys of the past that featured car seats and sippy cups and flame-outs and meltdowns and tears. And silliness and crazy sing-alongs to Taylor Swift. This trip... yep, this one was mostly peaceful and mostly quiet.

Anyway, the kiddos and I take the same picture every single year (so yep, there are 17 of these puppies so far, beginning with an extremely pregnant me standing solo back in 2004), and here is one of this year's iterations. (There is, for the record, a masked version as well as a sort of Sign Of The Times. I'm using this one because I like to see their faces.)

I adore these pictures and I look forward to adding a new one to the series each year. I adore seeing how much my kids have grown from one year to the next (like Isaac there next to me... hello!). And I adore the predictability of this time of special seasonal togetherness.

So yes, it was a blessed day. We rode together and hung out together and picked out pumpkins together and took our usual photos together. And every bit of it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment