Thursday, October 29, 2020

October 29

I was getting ready to take this beautiful girl of mine over to her school to take the oft-dreaded annual picture this afternoon (for her ID card and the yearbook) when I had a realization. 

She's a junior and senior pictures are taken off-site and via appointment, so this was her last traditional "school picture day." The thought made me literally stop in my tracks for a split second. 

When my mind started working again, my memory provided flashes from photo days past. Her first picture day was back in preschool; I still remember the blue background and the little pink and brown dotted dress she wore and how her hair was still curly without the aid of a curling wand.

There have been hits and misses over the years, as is so often the case with school pictures. There was the year that her friend handed out barrettes to all the girls shortly before photo-time; Abby placed hers in a totally conspicuous place on her head that made me do a literal facepalm when I saw the prints. There was the year she was literally damp with sweat because she'd just had PE class and the thought of staying pretty and neat for photos didn't cross her mind because there was running to be done and games to be played.

Funny thing is, I never once did a re-take. I love that succession of photos that chronicles her childhood and I wouldn't trade them for all the perfect shots in the world. Those little flaws and goofy moments are everything to me now.

As she stands on the threshold of her 16th birthday --which is next week!-- I'm so proud of who she was, who she is, and who she's becoming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment