Tuesday, October 27, 2020

October 27

Isaac had another scrimmage this evening. It was a fun enough game to watch; it was a lovely day, and the teams were reasonably well-matched and had comparable abilities overall.

In the end, the Spartans wound up losing in the bottom half of the final inning, and I braced myself for a long ride home with a bummed pre-teen because, well, Isaac can be quite critical of his own performance. So I watched him emerge from the dugout and head in our direction. And as he got close enough to hear me, I asked if he'd had fun. And waited for the answer.

And much to my surprise, he responded with a cheerful "yeah." Then he laid down in the grass (which, to its credit, was quite lush and carpet-like) and closed his eyes and remarked about how soft it was. And I released a breath. So today, I'm thankful for pleasant surprises. And for maturity. Because after all, there will be more scrimmages and games for this boy of mine. And I'm glad that he realizes that truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment