Sunday, November 8, 2020

November 8

After a few months of covert planning, Abby's surprise Sweet Sixteen party was this evening. (And in fact, it's still going on right now as nine appropriately socially distanced teenagers are in the backyard at Gracie's house wrapped up in blankets watching "Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga.")

But I'm getting ahead of myself, so I'll take a step back. I've not been super great about celebrating our kids' birthdays with their friends and since this was a big one for Abby, I'd texted Angela a few months back to see if she and Gracie (now known to me as The Best Best Friend Ever) would like to help me plan a surprise party. The response was a very enthusiastic yes, and my co-planners got to work. Gracie came up with a host of truly great ideas and we wound up settling on a cheeseburger bar for dinner followed by a presentation of said-movie (which Abby had off-handedly mentioned to Gracie that she'd like to force her friends to watch. Score one for the bestie paying attention to details.) 

Angela and Gracie did the lion's share of the work, with Angela cooking and setting up and Gracie baking desserts and handling the invitation list. I just brought a sash, hat, balloons, plates, and napkins, and Adam bought a LOT of fries at McDonalds (which, as a funny aside, prompted the employee who brought out his order to speculate that we were serious vegetarians) when he brought the boys over to join the party for dinner.

It was a wacky weather day that featured our first rain since Spring and significant winds so we weren't sure how things would pan out, but it was clear (albeit cold) by the time we gathered in front of Gracie's house to execute the surprise. And Abby was definitely surprised. The group sat in a circle talking before dinner, and then Gracie pulled out the amazing cake she'd made for Abby (so she could safely blow out a candle, given COVID guidelines) and cheeseburger cupcakes for the guests. (That little burger Abby is holding? It's a cupcake! So amazing.)

After the cupcakes were consumed and the movie projector was set up, I headed back home to let the teenagers have their mom-free time. 

As I sit here and reflect, I feel so blessed. I'm blessed that Angela and Gracie love planning parties and were so eager to do this for my girl. I'm blessed that Gracie is a terrific best friend. I'm blessed that the Great Waymaker didn't let the weather ruin the day. And I'm blessed that Abby was celebrated by a group of people that she genuinely enjoys... and that she was so happy to be celebrated. Good friends are such amazing blessings, and it warms my heart to see her surrounded by so much care. 

No comments:

Post a Comment