Saturday, January 16, 2021

January 16

I've said for months now that I think the pandemic and resulting isolation has been the hardest on Isaac. In his natural state, he's a happy go lucky, friendly kid who truly enjoys interacting with others -- teachers, fellow students and friends alike. The extended time away from those personal interactions have made him tired, short-tempered, and in some cases, quick to anger over the most trivial of things.

That's why I'm enormously grateful that his baseball coach has been so dedicated to keeping the team together. He had practice this morning, and when he got home, he was chipper, positive, even jovial, and I hadn't seen Real Isaac in quite some time. He even grabbed the broom from the pantry unprompted and started sweeping. He wound up sweeping up the entire kitchen. And the stairs to the garage. And he even let me correct his technique without argument. And he happily chirped away to himself as he worked.

So today, I am especially grateful for Coach Brian's tenacity and for baseball, because it's something --maybe the only thing-- that truly fills my kiddo's cup to overflowing right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment