Friday, June 11, 2021

June 11

Isaac's friend Tyler came over yesterday afternoon. Although I've had a few friends over for coffee by the pool and Abby has had a few friends over in the backyard, this was the first time we'd ever had anyone IN our house for more than a few minutes. 

They played video games and eventually moved out to the pool, where they hung out before coming back inside to (you guessed it) play more video games. As evening approached, I asked if he'd like to stay for dinner, and he said yes, as long as it was okay with his mom. (It was.) Then as we all sat outside at the table eating hamburgers and chips and fruit, I asked if he wanted to just spend the night, and he said yes, again, as long as it was okay with his mom. (And again, it was.)

And so he did. They played video games until I told them to go upstairs at 11ish last night, and then they were up bright and early and relocated themselves (along with their sleeping accoutrements) to the living room for more video games. (Because of course they did.) He finally headed home after lunchtime.

They laughed and hooted and made an impressive ruckus at times, but it was glorious having someone over. I guess that may sound silly, but I've been waiting for ages to host someone. (Anyone, really, but it was wonderful that Tyler was "our" first guest because he is such a nice kid and because I know that he and Isaac will always include Brady and treat him as an equal.) I've never lived in a home that was conducive to having guests, so having the opportunity to host and to share what we've been blessed with means so much to me. It's been a long, long time coming, and I am thankful that the time has finally come.

No comments:

Post a Comment