Saturday, May 13, 2023

May 13

It was a very good baseball day for the Wight boys.

Brady's team won their first playoff game by a final mark of 6-0. He went 2-for-3 at the plate with a double and tossed two scoreless innings from the mound. (The only blip happened when he plunked his friend in the bum during an at-bat, but apparently his friend's dad thanked him for doing it. I have no idea what that was all about but it's funny and no one was hurt so there you go.)

In Isaac's final game of his freshman year, he started --and played the entire game-- in right field. Although it was a hot day, he told me afterward that he was really happy to have played all seven innings and that it was his favorite game of the season even though they lost to rival Foothill 1-0.

I know I've said it before, but it's been a tough season for Isaac and I'm proud of how he persevered first through injury and then through lots of time on the bench. I'm proud that he didn't let disappointment knock him down for long and that he continued trying, trying, trying no matter what came his way. And that he didn't let his frustration turn him into an angry person.

And I'm even prouder because of what his coach did after today's game. After he'd dismissed the boys to leave, he called Isaac and his friend Alex over and talked with just the two of them for a few minutes. As we walked out to the car, I asked what he'd said to them, and Isaac shared that coach had praised both of them for their good character and said he'd enjoyed working with them. And that he would be proud if his young grandson grows up to be like them. My heart melted when I heard those words. And I think Isaac's heart melted a little, too, because he said it's probably the nicest thing anyone had ever said to him. He may not have delivered a clutch hit on the diamond, but that compliment ended the season on an unexpectedly high note.

I take very little credit for Isaac's good character because that's all God and Isaac himself. I'm just the blessed one who gets to be his mom. And for that not small gift, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment