Saturday, June 17, 2023

June 17

Abby and I had a full first day in Maryland.

After we arose from our jetlag-fueled (haha, jet fuel. Unintentional funny there) slumber, we headed over to the nearby Mother Ship for some java (me) and a pink drink (her). Then we hit our first of several Targets and Walmarts of the day so we could secure shampoo and conditioner for the week (and so I could look for new Cars with Faces and Corvettes). Then with that out of the way, we hopped over to Roy Rogers for roast beef sandwiches. While we were there a woman stopped by our table and gushed over how beautiful we were and how much I look like "that woman from that superhero TV show" (I think she meant Lynda Carter). Even though I'm not sure she was fully sober, she never asked me for anything and her over, over the top praise was so kind that it made smile. This world needs more sunshine-spreaders. (And it made Abby raise her eyebrows at me, as I'd been knocking my appearance earlier in the day. But that's neither here nor there.)

Still basking in compliment-afterglow, I tried to visit my dear friend Gretchen at her house since I hadn't been able to reach her, but her husband told me she hadn't slept well and was trying to make up for it this afternoon; hopefully we still get to see her sometime before this trip's end. 

Then it was on to Jimmie Cone, partly because Abby has been asking to go for years now (literally, since we only ever come during the winter and it's not open then) and partly because well, you just can't top good ice cream and jimmies. And as Abby rightly noted, a LOT of jimmies. From there we went to my grandma's house, where we saw grandma (of course) as well as my mom. At 100 1/2 years old, my grandma still looks good; in fact, as I looked at her, I silently hoped that my skin will still look as good as hers in the years to come.

Then we hit the road again. We had plans to meet Abby's college friend Anna and her mom and sister for dinner at Mission BBQ in Frederick and had a little extra time, so we coursed along back country roads and enjoyed the scenery (and hay bales) while I ruminated over how some things had changed a lot over time (hello 355 between Frederick and Clarksburg) while others still look virtually the same (like the old sign at my first elementary school). Dinner itself was great; Abby and Anna had an animated conversation at one end of the table while I got the chance to talk with her mom, who proved to be a lovely, genuine person.

And that, in a nutshell, was our day. Lots of good things. Probably too many calories. But all blessings, and I am thankful for the hours and the experiences and the opportunity to show my girl places that I knew when I was very young.

No comments:

Post a Comment