Friday, June 30, 2023

June 30

I happened to see a Facebook post this evening that claimed there would be fireworks at the fairgrounds at 9:30. Since I came upon said-post at 9:35, I hustled up to the deck for a look. I gazed out at the valley, eager to spot the first spray of colored light as it illuminated the distant skyline. But nothing happened. So instead, I closed my eyes and listened to the medley of nature as it played in the night air. And I uttered a few prayers. And then, as the time ticked closer to 10, I cautiously picked my way back down the stairs. I wasn't sure how I'd missed the show, but figured that's what must have happened.

But then as I settled into my chair in the family room, I heard that familiar boom-boom-boom, so I raced outside and up those concrete stairs once again.

And this time, when I reached the deck, I was greeted by glittering bursts of red and green and white light. I watched the whole show and then lingered a few moments after the final embers floated to the ground far below. 

I know a lot of people don't like fireworks (and I don't like being close to them myself), but I think they're pretty. And in this case, they provided me with a reminder about an important truth: just because we're sure we're on time for something doesn't mean that we're on time in God's time. Sometimes I'm early, but God is never early or late. So if you're waiting on something and you're sure the timing is right, just keep right on waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment