Sunday, June 18, 2023

June 18

Day two was calmer than day one, but it was still a full one for Abby and me.

We both got up rather late. After Abby completed her beautification process, a back-to-back comparison 
verified that Brendan is indeed taller than her for the first time since they were babies. It was a stunning but happy revelation for all involved. 

Our niece-slash-cousin Brianna joined us for our out-of-house adventures, which included stops at the Mother Ship, the Dollar Tree, and then Target (because the idea of a pool-outing was floated --I'm really on a roll with the wordplay-- and Abby didn't bring a suit). 

With bathing suits acquired, I craved a fountain soda so I headed for the McD's drive-thru. At first the girls tried to get me to just go back to the house, but then they remembered they hadn't eaten lunch and recalled the existence of the Grimace Birthday Meal so we pulled away with a purple shake (that Bri claimed tasted like Grimace looks), some burgers, some nuggets, and fries.

Back at the house, Reaya's parents and my mom arrived for dinner, and then afterward my brother opened the Father's Day cards that Bri and Abby so carefully chose for him at the Dollar store. (And while doing so, he confirmed that he is indeed the prettiest princess.) Then I proposed a walk, so four of us trolled the trail that runs behind their house. Since I'm rarely in Maryland during the summer months, I had no idea the trail was there, but it was very pretty and green so I'm grateful for the time us ladies had together. (Even if Abby and Bri have never seen Saved By the Bell and even if they think Boy Meets World is awesome and that Green Lantern is an old movie.)

Finally, we closed out the active part of our day by video chatting with Adam, Isaac, and Brady so we could watch the opening of the Father's Day presents. I felt like an idiot when I first realized that we'd scheduled our trip over this weekend, but Adam was --as he so often is-- completely gracious about it. I am very grateful that our kids have a terrific dad in him, and we're all very blessed that that's true every day of the year. 

So tonight, I'm thankful for our adventures and for family, both of origin and the one Adam and I created. Family isn't perfect, but it always has the potential to be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment