Saturday, August 31, 2024

August 31

I tried pretty hard to avoid going to the Giants game in San Francisco this evening.

I guess that sounds strange given that I do like the sport and that I spend copious amounts of time engaged in baseball-related activity practically all year long, but it's the truth. When Tina texted to see if we wanted to join her and John and some others from the Youth Group for Fellowship Night at Oracle Park, I said sure, but then silently hoped one of the boys' friends would be able to take my ticket so I could stay home and rest. But since it's Labor Day weekend, the friends had other plans. So I wound up going. And in hindsight, I'm glad I did.

I didn't exactly love sitting in the nosebleeds, but the view from our seats way, way up in the third deck was beautiful. The Giants didn't win the game, but I got to watch my boys link arms and sway with the Robitaille brothers during the seventh inning rendition of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." And I did walk away with some nice swag, including a blanket and a Logan Webb t-shirt. I didn't know about the Webb shirt giveaway until we walked through the gate, and I was immediately struck by how wonderful it was to have "Logan" with us for the evening in such a tangible and unexpected way.

And best of all, I did get to listen to player testimonies emceed by Dave Dravecky and I did get to enjoy a mini concert by Mac Powell (who --random funny anecdote-- was outside hanging by the curb as we were driving by the stadium on the way toward the freeway. We were at a red light when Isaac spotted him so I rolled down the window and thanked him for the show. It was a completely random, amusing moment for me. But I'm getting off-topic). It was a soul-stirring blessing to be there with other Believers, praising God and glorifying Jesus' name in a public space. It was, in a word, beautiful. And I am thankful that I took the opportunity to experience it instead of staying home.

No comments:

Post a Comment