Tuesday, July 23, 2013

July 23

After Brady and I dropped Abby and Isaac off at VBS this morning, we headed to Target. (Yes, I go there a lot. Don't judge me.) We did as we always do and cruised down the toy car aisle. While Brady pushed every button he could find, creating a lovely cacophony of sirens, whistles and squealing tires, my gaze drifted to the pegs of Hot Wheels. One in particular caught my eye, so I leaned in for a closer look.

The Corvette body style is pretty distinctive --at least to me-- so I realized it was one right away. But I was confused, because I'd looked up the Hot Wheels wikipedia (yes, I'm totally serious) and it wasn't anything like the ones that were to be released this year.

Only then did I notice that the packaging differed from every other car displayed. I realized it looked different and unfamiliar because it's not a 2013 Hot Wheels Corvette. Nope. It's a 2008.

Five years old, surrounded by a bunch of 2013 models.

A striking blue racing Corvette that was made during the year that Logan really fell in love with cars.

I've been looking at Hot Wheels displays for a long while now, and I've never seen such an old car up for sale at retail. I grabbed it, feeling a strange sense of glee, and then tried to figure out how I'd get them to sell it to me, because surely a five year old toy wouldn't still be in the bar code system... but it was. I scanned it, and poof, 97 cents. The same price as all of its buddies.

I just know this car was put there for me to find. I know it was. I'm sure you're all getting tired of me and my Vettes, but they mean so much to us. And this one --a really old blue one with racing stickers, sitting right there on the front of the peg, right in my line of sight-- it meant so much.

I remember sighing in frustration this morning and telling God that I needed something BIG. And though it's literally a very small thing, it was definitely just the kind of big thing I needed.

2 comments: