Thursday, July 4, 2013

July 4

After spending a very chill day at home, we made a last-minute decision to drive to Livermore to watch some fireworks from the side of a local road. We arrived around dusk, found a nice viewing spot, and parked. Adam took the Little Boys outside in their pjs to watch, while Abby and I stayed inside with our respective door and window open. Despite the high temperature earlier in the day, the evening was perfectly temperate and lovely.

Once the sun had set sufficiently, the show began, and the display was really nice. Since I'm incredibly set in my ways with this blog, I had to use my phone to take a picture of a picture I took during the show with my DSLR (I know, I know, silly). The quality isn't as good as the original of course, but it still encapsulates the pure beauty of the celebration:

There are plenty of ways that this experience reminds me of God. For one, it afforded us an unusual sort of family time as we sat outside watching the evening sky light up over and over again. For another, the white lights themselves are just so stunning as they reach up to the heavens and arch and bend into impressive formations that I know He had to have something to do with their creation.

The outing may or may not (ahem) have been marred slightly when a certain young girl threw up violently toward the end of the display, but eh, that too is a reminder that we can still enjoy special occasions even when they don't go quite as we'd imagined they would.

Because enjoy we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment